Rick
I have downloaded and installed all those apps on my kubuntu 7.10 with little problem. When I start the download it asks me if I would like to use "Ark" which I do then extract the file to my home folder and everything works right away by clicking on the icon in the home folder. For fldigi, make sure you have hamlib installed and if you have installed an older version trsh the hidden folder .fldigi. I noticed that the repository installs fldigi in the usr/bin folder.

Hope that is ome help.

Darrel, VE7CUS