I uninstalled hamlib, tried to use the more current source with no luck
as it does not compile according to the instructions. So I reinstalled
hamlib from the binary package repository, reinstalled the older fldigi
and it comes up by locating the program in the appropriate subdirectory.

I also installed several other programs from the repository, including
gmfsk. I have two serious problems. And they are both the same thing I
have had in the past with no resolution. Either I have no sound, or I
have transmitted sound that has an interrupt like sequence, several
times per second. This is not possible to use for transmitting.
Receiving seems OK.

The other problem is not getting PTT to work via the CI-V port on my ICOM.

For now, I will go back to the Linuxham and Linuxhams groups and see if
anyone else is having similar experiences.