It seems impossible that this stuff doesn't work, but it must be some
"little" thing that I am missing. I did discover the use of control H to
toggle the hidden files. The program unfortunately doesn't do anything
and it does not seem to do an installation and there is no fldigi in the
usr/bin folder either. I have downloaded the .tgz compressed binaries
several times from W1HKJ so it is not likely to be corrupted files.