Rick,
As I said, I am no Linux or Ubuntu expert. Here is what I did, though.
For the older version 1.37 (or what ever) of the fldigi program, I
simply installed it using the Synaptic Agent. I then had to navigate to
usr/bin directory, find the fldigi file and click on it to run it. You
should also be able to open a terminal and do the same thing from the
command line.

For the newer version 2.04 of fldigi, I downloaded the .tgz file,
uncompressed it and ran the extracted file. That placed a file called
fldigi in my home directory, /home/roy in my case. I can click on that
file and fldigi runs for me. I have not tried playing around with it to
see what it will do. I think perhaps it is time for me to spend some
time with the help files. I am able to run the fldigi file whether I am
using Gnome or KDE. At first I did not delete a hidden .fldigi
directory. The newer version still ran. I then located and deleted the
hidden directory and it still runs. I have not tried doing a
configuration and changing that or anything. I hope some of this helps
you. I know how frustrating it can be trying to figure this stuff out
for yourself. Let me know if I canhelp you in any way.

73 and good luck.
Roy N9RG

[EMAIL PROTECTED]