Since the modem is readily available for anyone, including the FCC to
use, I don't see any of this as a problem. I might agree that
technically speaking, it could be a violation of the rules as you point
out, but I suspect that if asked, the FCC would either say no problem,
or more likely would just not respond, (which seems to be one of their
solutions for dealing with sticky issues in the past year).

It appears from your comments that you believe that I do not support
sound card modems. Clearly, I most emphatically do, but not necessarily
this specific product. If someone else came along and developed a
MIL-STD-188-110A, or even an MIL-STD-188-141B, Appendix C modem, I would
find it very interesting provided there was no charge. As you know, I
have spent a great deal of time researching MIL-STD/FED-STD/STANAG
systems and have published some (hopefully) helpful outline on the hfdec
yahoogroup site that looks at the three generations and maybe make some
sense of what is a fairly complicated series of improvements over the
past 25 + years. Direct comparisons of multi tone and single tone modems
have been fairly close for a given bandwidth. I have seen at least one
study that did suggest (based on projections, not total empirical data)
that the multi tone may work better overall. This was for a difficult
and necessarily low angle (non-NVIS) path to the south pole. Power used
was in many cases, well above amateur levels. Even then, only certain
hours of the day were available for any traffic to be passed depending
upon ionospheric conditions.

I am very open to any of these technologies and no particular bias.  In
fact, I have been one of the few hams who have actually tested some of
these technologies. Frankly, most hams show very little interest:( I do
have a healthy skepticism toward high speed single tone modems becoming
popular for amateur use. Unlike military use, we do not have the ability
to install the kinds of antennas that they do nor can we keep increasing
power levels like they do to overcome difficult conditions. Even NVIS
has its limitation.

Most of us have to slow down the throughput with our more modest
equipment, antennas, and power levels. But we can get the data through
if we use ARQ modes, even if more slowly. I have not seen much hardware
adoption of modems since the inception of PSK31. The main exception may
be Pactor and Pactor2 and Pactor 3 use, especially for HF Winlink 2000.
But even there we are seeing a renewed movement toward sound card
technology after a hiatus of three years.

[ Important clarification:  I am not inherently opposed to paying for
software, and I have spent hundreds of dollars in the past.. My
experience has shown that when digital mode software (often true of any
software) becomes freely available, adoption of similar software that
has monetary cost is quite reduced and you may not have enough hams to
meaningfully participate. And anything new, hardware or software, must
have some compelling reasons for adoption. RFSM tests that I tried were
competitive with existing software under some conditions, but not really
that compelling either. ]

Speaking for myself (others may view this differently) I would prefer
open source, but ideally free as in beer, if not free as in speech. We
have that now with at least one multi-mode digital cross platform
software suite with fldigi and flarq. It is definitely a changing
landscape from just a year or two ago.