Hi Dave,

I have a similar type noise in our neighborhood. By doing some DF'ing,
we've pinned it down to a neighbor's house, but haven't been
successful yet in gaining their confidence to let us explore beyond
their front door. Can here it on VHF when we're at their front porch.

Is it "time synced", i.e. is the accuracy such that it's being derived
from a 60Hz/Xtal time base. In my case, it's not. It comes on for
APPROX 12 seconds and goes off for APPROX 3 seconds, but if I listen
to it over a few minutes, it will drift up or down. Also, I noticed I
can hear it at ~ 16.7KHz "offsets", which makes me think it could be
PC video related. Not sure if it could be switching power supply
related, I thought most of them were 100's Khz. Actually, It had been
across the full 20M band last year when we were DF'ing, but now it's
"discrete". I have a wav file I can send you if that would help.

Fortunately, it's been down to S2-3 as of late. It also seems to be
tied to colder weather (thermostat control??). BTW, the neighbor is
300-400 feet away in a suburban area (70' x 120' lots) . W5AHC is
another ham in the neighborhood and he's ~100 fett closer and hears it
as well.

Hope this helps. Let me know what it ends up being.

tnx es 73
Bruce - W3NJ