Andy and others:

I think you mean that the people who programmed today's radios are
smart.  They have written excellent DSP algorithms to process the
signals YOU select for the radio.

Suppose we have a radio capable of doing any kind of waveform we wish to
do (gnuradio is a step in the right direction).

http://gnuradio.org/trac

But suppose we built radios with algorithms in them to do sensing,
measurement,  of the environment for interference,  large signals that
will not be co-channel but can generate intermodulation distortion which
does result in inband interference,  estimates the quality of the path, etc.

Some systems do something like this in rudimentary form already.  HF
Automatic Link Establishment was set up to replace the smart operator,
which a smart radio.  It sounds the channel repeatedly and if two radios
operating using HF ALE wish to connect to exchange information,  the two
radios, based on the data gathered from the sensing algorithms from a
pool of frequencies assigned by the system administrator.  This is radio
with some artificial intelligence in it, that does not need a software
defined radio behind it.

But let us go much further.  Let's get the FCC to pass rules that allow
almost any waveform within reason and assign this operation to "any
vacant television channel", i.e., the so called white space rules now
being put into place.

Such a radio system will be equipped with a complex set of sensing
algorithms.  These algorithms have one job:  fine the best set of
parameters to put into our software defined radio to allow us to
communicate with (say) the internet.

The radio is COMPLETELY in charge once it has been informed by settings,
databases, sensors, etc.  about the channel(s) it is going TO CHOOSE to
operate on from the restricted set we as administrators allow.

The optimality criterion is a balance of maximize channel capacity (data
rate if you will) without causing harmful interference.

That is a service coming into existence now.

Now suppose you are a military unit about to be dropped into hostile
territory.  You are outfitted with a radio whose first job when you
enable it is to sense the environment FOR EXISTING radio systems and
figure out its parameters so you can use it for your own communications.

The combination of

a) sensors for determining everything within reason about the channel.
b) a set of goals to be achieved:
   1) construct a waveform that will allow me to communicate using the
      channel
   2) minimize interference to others
   3) determine if the desired end of the conversation is reachable on
this channel
   4) ?????
c) communicate until done, modifying waveform, channel, etc. as needed
to maintain communications and minimize interference.

This is a form of cognitive radio.  It has been under intensive study
for nearly 15 years since Mitola coined the term.

Having done several years of research in both software and cognitive
radio fields,  this is a very exciting time for me personally.
Contributing to implementations in Flex Radio,  GnuRadio, etc. has
really been enjoyable.

I have to say that for many in amateur radio,  this will not seem like
radio at all and they will object strongly to its existence because it
does indeed move more stuff between the operator and the radio.  Let's
just say that I don't see why the two visions necessarily should be in
conflict.  I am heading off to W2GD/2 in Tuckerton, NJ this weekend to
prepare for the remainder of the 160 meter contest season.  This year we
are introducing software radios of various types.  But it will still be
my teammates and I that sit in front of the radio and wield the paddle
to make the contact.  The SDR and limited CR will aid this but will not
replace it.  Every major contesting group is now using or planning to
use SDR and CR to enhance their work because the competition is
definitely going to use it.

Bob
N4HY

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.