Same here.  I do not operate digital modes at all personally, even those
I helped to create and/or improve.  I operate 160m and 40m CW almost
exclusively.  That does not stop me from conducting experiments, doing
design work, and using the brain I was given to learn and expand
knowledge.  I believe this is in the highest tradition of amateur radio
and should continue.  When that stops, I have lost interest.

Simon and I and many others like us write lots of code and do lots of
experiments.  And rather than look at the development of all of this as
dehumanizing,  I view it as humanist in the extreme.  It is an enabler
of new things by the HUMANS using the new capabilities.

I think we should leave philosophy and concentrate on digital radio here
probably.  CR is here to stay as is SDR which has been around for a long
time.  In my case, I was doing SDR for work two years before Mitola
popularized the term.

I am happy amateur radio OPERATORS are benefiting now from that
experience and effort.

Bob
N4HY

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.