It seems to me that this is all in preparation of dehumanizing amateur radio as
we know it.  Technology moves on, and maybe that is one of the reasons we seem
to be getting older and older.  Young people look at it, and ask why they need
to bother to learn code, or even electronics, since they can just push a button
someone else has put in front of them.

It does sound exciting for our military, government, commercial businesses to
have and be able to communicate, since they really are not interested in
anything other than the capability to move data as easy and quick  and cheaply
as possible.  As for me, this is a hobby, and I want to be in charge of my own
thinking, and thankfully there are still going to be radios that allow me to
push buttons, turn knobs and press switches to choose my own operating band,
and modes.  It is great to have technology available to help me make those
decisions; such as propagation forecasting, RSID etc. but then those still
require ME to make the final selection of where I want to transmit and how I
want to operate.  I believe we are getting out of the decision making process
with too much technology and might as well forget about contests etc. when
having to compete with such technological forward stations as you mention here.
 As an individual with limited financial means, who will never be able to
afford the "best and most powerful" technology I am, even today, depressed when
I tune around and find the big contest stations giving out numbers in the
hundreds,within an hour or so the beginning of the contests, mainly due to the
technology of the day.  Expeditions seem to be in the same "numbers" mode,
attempting to work as many contacts as possible, no matter that they may be
working the same operator 30 or more times, to the expense of the actual number
of hams who are able to get thru.

This all may sound like sour grapes to those who are pushing these innovations,
but I do really worry about the future of this hobby, and where it is heading,
but I have heard others saying the same things.  As one who has enticed young
people into the hobby, taught classes and encouraged operating: I am having
more and more problems convincing them that this is something that they want.
They already have computers,  cell phones, blackberries, whatever berries, so
why do they need radio?  I could let them read about cognitive radio systems,
but I still wonder if that is enticement, because they can already pick up the
phone, or key the keyboard and talk anywhere in the world, without worry about
sun spots.

Danny Douglas
N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB
All 2 years or more (except Novice). Short stints at:  DA/PA/SU/HZ/7X/DU
CR9/7Y/KH7/5A/GW/GM/F
Pls QSL direct, buro, or LOTW preferred,
I Do not use, but as a courtesy do upload to eQSL for those who do.
Moderator
DXandTALK
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DXandTalk
Digital_modes