> I first heard of cognitive radio systems when efforts were underway to make
> use of the 'white space' in the television broadcast bands.  The whole idea
> is to make more efficient use the the spectrum by putting situational
> awareness in to the client device.

One example we're discussing is how to use the repeater channels
(over allocated - under used) for data when the repeaters aren't in
use.   Cognitive radios could learn which channels had the least use
and make more use of them.   There are issues to be resolved but the
concept is promising at the very least.

Yes - ham radio has never been so alive.   We have incredible tools
(toys) there but for the using.

73
Bill - WA7NWP