Cortland Richmond wrote:

> One problem with "cognitive radio" is that it seems it will be designed
> to detect only emissions similar to those it is meant to receive.
> Therefore, it is best used in spectrum particularly allotted to
> just those kinds of emissions.   This rather defeats the purpose of
> "white space."
>
> RMS Express by way of contrast has a busy detector that will prevent
> transmitting over many kinds of modulation different than it uses.
> Compare this with (say) ALE, whose polling (encountered on MARS
> frequencies) takes no account of voice or even Olivia on channels it
> happens to select.
>

> Cortland
> KA5S

This is not correct in my experience. In all serious systems under
development, the CR is looking to characterize all energy to some degree
or another, irrespective of whether it is a "matched filter" to a
particular waveform.

The purpose is to find a channel that works.  Energy on the channel is
an indicator it would not as the source would be cochannel interference
and with some high degree of probability,  the interference would be mutual.

Dislike for any particular system which automates channel usage but does
not behave responsibly is not to be used to condemn responsible digital
system developers.  The enforcement of this responsibility is done by
pressure (peer) and performance (being interfered with by those not
detected).

Bob
N4HY

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.