Good point Cortland.

Cognitive radio offers national regulators the opportunity to adopt a much
lighter touch to regulation. They could do away with rigid frequency
allocations - the users radio will just look for an "unused" frequency and use
it.

As you say the problem lies in what is considered an occupied frequency. We may
well find that a signal 10 db above the prevailing noise floor would be
considered noise and thus available for use.

On 2.4 GHz technologies such as Bluetooth and Wifi adapt to interference.

I'm sure as cogitive techniques develop we'll see large chunks of the spectrum
operated in a similar manner to 2.4 GHz, eg license exempt with the Equipment
(users won't necessarily realize it's a radio) choosing the lowest interference
frequencies to carry out the required task.

European Union RSPG report on Cognitive Technologies
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/november2009/rspg_report_on_cognitive_technologies.htm

73 Trevor M5AKA