Hello,

--- Ken Joy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ETA is mid June......for details, please check out:
> http://partner.tucows.com/tribune/archives/edition2/bestbus.html
> > > There's no lockdown coming in the approaching enhancements;
> > however, we are
> > > considering it. We are adding a a security check from our side
> > (enabled at
> > > the RSPs option).

That security enhancement looks pretty good, however if someone is on
holiday or ill for a few days and isn't checking their email, they
could miss the notices. For those of us who are keen, we're checking
email every 10 mins, etc., but not all of our clients would be as keen.
Many would be passive users, using the internet for only a few hours
per month.

In the event of a malicious domain name hijacking, someone who is
*passive* can lose the name, as they didn't actively reject the
transfer. With a lockdown procedure, though, the passive individual is
protected, as the transfer won't go through unless they actively
approved it.

I hate to side with Register.com on this one, but I think they have it
right, that one should have the option of rejecting all transfers by
default, unless they're actively accepted (as opposed to doing nothing,
i.e. not rejecting). I guess it's all a matter of trust -- I trust
OpenSRS more than some "gaining" registrar, who says that a transfer
request has been made. With over 100 approved registrars at
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html it could be
hellish navigating the undoing of a transfer for some minor registrars
who might not even do business in English, for instance.

Of course, thankfully there's the 60-day period after a transfer where
it can't change hands again to another registrar, so one can appeal to
get the domain name back if it's a hijacking. But, one's business could
be disrupted and it would be a pain in the butt to go through the
process of reversing a malicious domain name hijacking. I hope the
folks who started this thread (cpanic.com case) are successful in
quickly undoing the transfer.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/