Hi Ross,

--- "Ross Wm. Rader" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You're not agreeing with them. Their process has been explicitly
> designed to
> convince registrants to renew rather than transfer - a completely
> different
> proposition that what you are talking about here.
>
> Not sure exactly what ScottA and his gang are contemplating, but I
> would
> imagine that the process would allow a registrant to lock their
> domain name
> and only allow a transfer if they explicitly approved it. Registrars
> are not
> allowed to transfer domain names if they are locked. This would
> constitute a
> statement that they are not considering transferring domain names to
> any
> registrar and by default, any transfer requests that do come through,
> aren't
> coming from them. Of course, if they unlock their domain name, then
> they
> could go to another registrar and undertake a transfer away from
> OpenSRS.

Right, I don't completely agree with how Register.com has enabled it.
In a sense, they enable that "lockdown" by default, instead of having
clients actively request it. Having a lockdown be something that must
be actively requested is a much better and more honest business
practise, unlike what Register.com seems to do to try to retain their
customers.

So, I envision a "best practise" of:

a) client creates a new domain at OpenSRS, and lockdowns are *disabled*
by default
b) client must log-in to the domain management interface on the web and
set a lockdown checkbox to "on".
c) domains that are locked down are shown with a with a little icon
with a "lock" or something (like the "secure" icon in Internet
Explorer, on https pages) in the domain management interface when
listing all domains in a profile :)

Well, c) of course is not essential (but would be nice).

In essense, the combination of (a) and (b) is meeting all of ICANN's
current requirements. (b) is expressly authorizing OpenSRS to reject
transfers, in essence an "auto-reject" for the new security procedures
in the 5-day window.

If a "pretty" lockdown procedure is not implemented, I was thinking of
another idea that could work (less elegant, but might work). The
address profile for the registrant has lots of extra space, typically
(i.e. I've never had to fill in the field Address #3). What if OpenSRS
standardized a keyword or keyphrase that could be added on that line,
so that domains which that keyword/keyphrase are locked down?

Assuming domain transfers out of OpenSRS are manually reviewed, a line
in Address #3 with a keyphrase of:

"DOMAIN LOCKED" or "DOMAIN PROTECTED" or "DO NOT TRANSFER"

or something like that would give OpenSRS staff the hint that the
transfers should be rejected. Such a scheme also has the advantage that
it's easy to apply such a change to all domains using the web
management interface (since one can apply a contact change to all
domains in a profile). Also, it requires no changes to OpenSRS'
internal database schema -- it's simply using an existing field for a
new purpose.

If transfers out of OpenSRS are not manually reviewed, then one would
need to make sure that the keyphrase is caught by some program, so that
the request is rejected.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/