> I hate to side with Register.com on this one, but I think they have it
> right, that one should have the option of rejecting all transfers by
> default, unless they're actively accepted (as opposed to doing nothing,
> i.e. not rejecting). I guess it's all a matter of trust -- I trust
> OpenSRS more than some "gaining" registrar, who says that a transfer
> request has been made. With over 100 approved registrars at
> http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html it could be
> hellish navigating the undoing of a transfer for some minor registrars
> who might not even do business in English, for instance.

You're not agreeing with them. Their process has been explicitly designed to
convince registrants to renew rather than transfer - a completely different
proposition that what you are talking about here.

Not sure exactly what ScottA and his gang are contemplating, but I would
imagine that the process would allow a registrant to lock their domain name
and only allow a transfer if they explicitly approved it. Registrars are not
allowed to transfer domain names if they are locked. This would constitute a
statement that they are not considering transferring domain names to any
registrar and by default, any transfer requests that do come through, aren't
coming from them. Of course, if they unlock their domain name, then they
could go to another registrar and undertake a transfer away from OpenSRS.

This is a process I can agree with, but please, don't get it confused with
what Register.com is doing.

-rwr