On 1/18/2005 4:36 PM Dave Warren noted that:

Slightly off topic, anybody else read any of the various "RSS is crushing my server" articles recently? There is a reason why infrequent or unpredictable updates should be pushed rather then pulled.

How is the polling mechanism that most aggregators and NNTP clients use any different than the polling mechanism that most POP clients use?

This is an honest question - I'm having a hard time sorting out pull from push in this conversation because on my desktop, these are all request based transactions. i.e. "Whaddya got for me?"

--
Regards,

-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one indispensable condition for social progress."
- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)