On 18 1 2005 at 6:13 pm -0500, Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

>How is the polling mechanism that most aggregators and NNTP clients use
>any different than the polling mechanism that most POP clients use?

Not that I know much about RSS, but isn't it a simple paramaterless HTTP
request that serves up a whole pile of XML?

In a POP transaction, there is a simple login process, and then no data
is transferred if there is nothing new.  My [admittedly thin]
understanding is that you get the whole XML file whether or not much of
its contents are relevant.  Is that not true?

-b

--
Ben Kennedy, chief magician
zygoat creative technical services