Le 2010-10-07 10:32, Marc Paré a écrit :
Le 2010-10-07 09:27, Charles Marcus a écrit :
On 2010-10-07 8:54 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
In all reality, the older formats are no longer being developed and
aren't most of these offered in older versions of OpenOffice? I imagine
there isn't any need to examine and reverse engineer the code anymore?
Keeping them on the list of supported formats in the LibO "File->open
would be nice.

Correct - I don't think anyone was suggesting that support for them be
*removed*. Someone had suggested only providing support for *improving*
the newer formats, which is what I disagree with. I do understand that
resources are limited so some bugs with older formats might go unfixed
if they require a lot of resources, but don't just unilaterally refuse
to even look at the bugs - let the devs decide which ones are easily
fixable or not.

Sorry. Thanks for the clarification. I think it is a great idea if a dev
is willing to do it. There couldn't be many bugs left for these old
formats left would there? It may be just a good idea to create a
week-long project where the devs would pool their time and use the week
to quash as many bugs as possible.

I do see this as perhaps a time-waster, as I think most users would find
it reasonable to fix up the quarks with older file formats and save them
in a more open document format. I think back to my older Wordperfect
files and Dbase III files that may not open nicely. I am just happy to
get at the information in some way. A larger problem with moving large
amount of files though. But still a good way to appreciate recognized
ISO document formats like the OASIS formats.

Marc

Sorry about the double post. My computer hiccuped and I thought it had not sent the mail through.

Marc