2011/4/1 Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier+ooofut...@googlemail.com>

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:26 PM, M Henri Day <mhenri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2011/4/1 dionysien <jean-francois.bour...@univ-paris8.fr>
> >
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> We must keep in mind that languages vary enormously with respect non
> only
> >> their available vowels and consonants, but also to their possible
> >> syllables.
> >>
> >> The component words of LibreOffice, though quite common international
> >> words,
> >> have already diverging pronounciations wordwide.
> >> We already know that in Japanese  a vowel will HAVE to be inserted
> between
> >> and R, and probably also at the end, just because the syllabic pattern
> of
> >> Japanese commands it. And that is right so, even if the phonetic
> >> [libureofisu] differs from [librofis]
>
> Sure, but that doesn't mean you explicitly voice those vowels.
> (and of course that doesn't mean you cannot pronounce it differently
> to what you write)
> A machine saying libreoffice mimicing the intended french/english:
>
> http://tts.imtranslator.net/FKTh
>
> > Agree, Jean François ; moreover, not only does the syllabic pattern of
> > Japanese necessitate the insertion of a vowel or vowels in consonant
> > clusters, but the same imperative holds true to an even greater degree in
> > (standard) Chinese. Thus it is inevitable that the term «LibreOffice»
> will
> > be pronounced differently from land to land, language to language,
> dialect
> > to dialect.
>
> Sure, but if people want some guidelines (or better hints on what the
> intended sounding ist), why not provide them with one? If you say
> "libre" as in the french word "libre" = "free" and the english office
> then people might be as smart as before, as they don't necessarily
> have a clue on how french is pronunced, etc.
>
> Esp. for Japanese using foreign words in "japanalized" pronounciation
> is nothing new..
>
> > As the same time, the concerns of posters who wonder how it can
> > be pronounced in their respective languages should not be ignored. Why
> not
> > post mp3 files with pronunciations by tdf developers from various
> countries
> > which could help in the construction of standards for the many languages
> in
> > which, hopefully, LibreOffice will employed. Friedrich's German-lnguage
> > version is a good example....
>
> <nitpick>Oh, it is not German language :-) it is the french/english
> version spoken by a German</nitpick>

Thanks for your nitpicking, Christian ; were I to return the favour I should
point out that Friedrich's file was an example of a German-language
pronunciation of a French word followed by an English one. In any event, as
I hope I made clear in my previous posting, I feel that more of the
same (*mutatis
mutandi*, of course) would be helpful to those in doubt as to how to the
term might be pronounced in their respective languages....

*Gruß*

Henri