On Feb 4, 2012, at 2:00 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> On 04/02/2012 19:50, Benjamin Horst wrote:

>>> Ben zimbra is proprietary as well now owned by vmware. With my luck on
>>> trying to start using vmware for virtualization as a start up business they
>>> have put me off using their products. Would be nice to develop a mail
>>> client to add to the LO suite.
>> There appears to be an open source version of Zimbra still:
>> http://www.zimbra.com/products/zimbra-open-source.html
>>
>> Whether it has the same feature set, I'm not sure. As mentioned, the
>> documentation on Zimbra Docs is sparse!
>>
>> -Ben
>>
> I dont know about that, but they have the free zimbra desktop mail client
> which i have tried and am not impressed with.

That client is a different story, and I didn't like it either, but you can use
any email client you want with the email server.

Regardless, it's the browser-based word processor, spreadsheet and slideshow
creation tools within the Zimbra self-hosted server application that we're
talking about here. If you haven't looked at them, I suggest you do. To my
knowledge, they are the closest thing on the internet to a self-hosted, open
source equivalent to Google Docs.

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bho...@mac.com