Steven, you bring up an interesting point that nobody has mentioned yet.

Gmail's search is light years beyond any desktop email app search.
This is one of gmail's greatest assets.  Search makes it so easy to
find old forgotten email based on label, sender, or just plain old
keywords.

Not to mention that if you use gtalk also you can search all your old
discussion logs..

And to chime in and agree with a number of comments, the only thing
labels don't do that folders do is hierarchy .. Label + Archive gives
you the same result as putting a message in a folder.

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
email/gtalk: [EMAIL PROTECTED]