On 10/11/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If you let emails skip the inbox you won't see new incoming emails.
>
> The labels that have unread email in them display in bold and have a
> number next to them that indicates how many unread messages there are.

For me that's not enough of an indication. I missed important emails
because of that. New emails should appear in the inbox. That's what
the inbox is for, right?

> Most desktop clients do the same thing. Unless, of course, you're
> physcally dragging every email you get into a folder after you read
> it. But if you do things that way, you can simply apply a filter in
> Gmail and then click Archive.

This is exactly the workflow I find cumbersome in Gmail. Susan Doran
offered a nice solution for turning labeling into a real archiving
tool. And don't get me wrong, I haven't seen better solutions, I would
actually be interested in learning about webmail services which make
archiving (not tagging) emails easy, intuitive and not so
desktop-like...