Those of you who had bad experiences with gmail -- did you use labels and
such early on, or did messages tend to go unlabeled/unfiltered?

I'm a huge gmail fan, but I labeled/archived things religiously from day 1
and haven't have to deal with a massive inbox.... It certainly seems as
though the process of organizing a mountain of emails isn't as
well-supported as organizing messages one-by-one as they arrive and are
read.

One feature I use fairly frequently, but which I haven't seen discussion on
previously, is omitting certain labels from a search. I mark all messages
from IxDA/SigIA/CHI-*/other lists under a single label, then apply
additional labels to identify things like job, conference, and event
listings. To search all lists for a topic, without getting a zillion
job/conference/event listings mixed into the results, add one or more
negated label terms (eg, " -label:events.listings"). Stringing together a
bunch of negated label terms is also, to my knowledge, the only way to
search for unlabeled messages.

This adds an additional potential benefit not offered by folder-based
systems: 'carving up' a result set using the organization (ie, not just
keywords) to remove items which are sometimes signal, sometimes noise. For
my use, this makes the labeling systems by gmail and delicious many times
more effective than labels by themselves.

~Steven Pautz