Well, that kinda sucks they continue beating a certain flavor of UCD
to death. One key concept of UCD, to me, is there is never a magic
formula for doing it. Everything, as with any form of design, is a
matter of context - goals, resources, time, etc. I've used personas
throughout 5% of my career doing UCD - hardly ever. The fact of the
matter is they are not needed. Heck, UCD is not *needed*. BUT it is a
proven way to deliver very high quality designs that maximize business
value across the board. I'm not saying it's the only way. My
experience has been that personas have only been useful as a sales
vehicle to execs and other stakeholders. Obviously others on this list
disagree.

So, whatever you want to call it, practicing good research and using
that to drive design is an excellent practice, in my book. And good
research doesn't mean long, expensive research that results in a 900
page findings document that no one will ever read. Take the next
design you create for one of your clients to a coffee shop and buy
someone a non-fat double mocha whatever the heck in exchange for
completing a few tasks with one of your prototypes. You'll learn
something, and it will cost $12.95 or however much Starbucks charges
for a cup of java these days. Name one company you've worked for that
can't afford a cup of coffee. Ok, you probably can, but you see my
point. There are realistic research options for you. If anyone tells
you personas or any other deliverable has to be done, they've had too
much starbucks caffeine :-)

My opinion is not that companies don't have the time and resources to
do UCD - they don't have the time and resources *not* to do it. It's a
heck of a lot more expensive to design in a black hole than it is to
conduct good research and then throw your design chops on top of that.
That is true the vast majority of the time - certainly not always. If
you can show a company how to consistently create top notch UX at a
cheaper cost than producing non-research driven products and services,
you've really done your job as a designer. Again, not saying UCD is a
prerequisite to quick development, smooth approvals from stakeholders,
good UX, cheap support costs, etc etc. Just most of the time. Sorry -
obviously the last thing you want to hear is another UCD soapbox. But
I think there is UCD that can be practiced in any situation, any
budget, etc.

As far as usage centered design, I only know enough about it to think
it's not that great, that's just my opinion. I just threw it out there
as an example of a choice you have as a designer.

Jeff