At 12:50 PM -0500 12/13/07, Jack Moffett wrote:
>I believe the degree is officially in Graphic Design-it is a Graphic
>Design program-but the project itself is certainly an interaction
>design project.

I would expect an industrial design student to create a beautifully
crafted model of an intended product, say a scale model of an
automobile, plus a written rationale for the design.  But I would not
expect the student to produce a fully functional product (say a
driveable automobile).

I would expect a naval architecture student to produce a blueprint
from which a ship could be built, and perhaps a scale model of the
ship, but not to build a full-size, seaworthy vessel.

I would expect a traditional graphic design student to design
something graphical, say a packaging concept for a line of toys, and
to execute the design in a well-crafted set of comps.

Perhaps since your graphic design student has chosen to design
something interactive, she should create a beautifully crafted model
of her design, and accompany it with her research and rationale.  In
this case the model could be the kind of (visually) high fidelity
mockup or prototype that is often done in Flash (or previously in
Director) to give demos to executives and venture capitalists (high
level decision makers) of the intended product. In this way, the
student would have be able to demonstrate the appearance and
interaction style of the design, without having to create a
"prototype" with complete-enough functionality for user testing.  The
"design" student should certainly not have to "implement" the design.
That is the job of the computer science student standing before a
thesis board in the next room...

What do you think?
--Bill Fernandez

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bf_list1 AT billfernandez DOT com  *
http://billfernandez.com