Search engines are just one way for retrieval and indexing information, this
the problem with SEO: it has a very limited technological scope based on a
single model of information retrieval. A bit like a cancer for the cure, SEO
makes pages easier to rank in search engine results but then nobody said
that the page was relevant for me in first page. There's an aspect of SEO
which is very interesting indeed: keyword searching, taxonomy and linguistic
trends, but few are the SEO's who even understand what a taxonomy is all
about.

Many times the purpose of SEO is to put the page in the first positions so
that more people come to a page where they can click on the paid ads for
other pages: a bit like the salmon lifecycle, which goes all the way against
the stream so that they can lay eggs, die, then when everything is washed
downstream, eggs hatch, baby fish eats mum and dad's flesh and when they are
adults they go all the way against the stream again for no purpose in life
but populate the rivers.

The success rate of most SEO campaigns out there are measured by the
position of the web page in the results page, which definitely produces more
traffic (another old model: traffic). It is a surge tactics, which might
work for the owner of the site, but from the user perspective, if you are
lucky to get a page with good content, good for you.

Personally, I don't use Google anymore, I go straight to Wikipedia and then
go to the links they have there. I also use Digg, which seems to me the
emerging model for search, something SEO hasn't thought of yet, after all
SEO is aimed for short-term results.

Nevertheless, there are serious SEO consultancies out there, it is hard to
spot them because there are too many failed web designers waving the SEO
banner.

Cheers,

Luis

"I'm not an SEO expert by any means, but reading all this talk about
how CSS will effect SEO results really SCREAMS to me my point that
designing for SEO is a flawed methodology for total success..."

-- dave

believed to be clean.