Take a look at:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/zeitgeist2007/

where Google gives an indication of popular queries for 2007. Among
the top ones you will see queries such as "myspace", "facebook",
"youtube", "tmz", "dailymotion", "badoo" etc. (I have even heard of a
sizable amount of queries for the word "google").

All the above are names of website which would have been accessed by
typing for example www.tmz.com.
So there is strong indication that people are using google a
"shortcut" engine as well as a search engine. Not sure if all these
queries come from people typing in the browser search box or if they
have google as their home page and type it in the standard google text
box.

But I definitely think there's scope for a better shortcut/history
mechanism in browsers.

Cheers,
Alex