> On 5 Jan 2008, at 07:10, Peter Meyers wrote:
>> In addition, I think it's very important to usability that we start
>> to consider the entire life-cycle of the consumer, from the moment
>> they sit down at the computer.

Over the last couple of years I've noticed an upward trend among
usability test and ethnographical study participants to use Google
rather than a particular site's navigation, e.g. instead of looking
for Flight Times in the left hand nav of the Virgin Atlantic site,
they prefer to Google "virgin atlantic flight times". This is similar
to  the increase in users using Google for navigating to popular
sites rather than typing in the URL or using favourites/bookmarks as
evidenced in the increase of search terms such as Facebook, MySpace etc.

This behaviour relies on sites having accurate SEO and may indicate
an increasing importance of SEO to provide an acceptable level of
usability.

Diarmad McNally
Interaction Design Studio

UK: +44 (0) 7808 297289