I'd like to offer an alternate perspective here (and not just because
it's fun to argue with Alan).

At the outset, I should say that here at Cooper, 2 of our current major
projects involve the creation of clickable, semi-functional prototypes.
(I hate to sound defensive, but in the aftermath of Alan's comments, I
also don't want to spend the next five years explaining to people that I
actually find prototyping valuable.)

To me, "to prototype" is to create some representation of the thing you
are designing. Webster's offers a similar definition: "An original model
on which something is patterned." In this spirit, whiteboard sketches,
blocks of wood, wireframes, foam-core models, pixel-perfect state
renderings, clickable demos and functioning proof-of-concept code are
all prototypes. So we always always always prototype.

The real question then seems to be "how interactive or accurately
representative should the prototypes be." It seems like this is what the
debate is all about. From the postings I've read, it seems there are
several reasons to build a more interactive prototype:

- To explore solutions
- To evaluate solutions
- To communicate solutions

It's absolutely true that interactive prototypes can provide a lot to
each of these aspects of the design process, AND that it is possible to
do each without an interactive prototype (I've seen it happen). It often
comes down to a cost/value calculation, and the sweet spot falls
somewhere on an continuum. The reason we're building prototypes on two
projects right now is explicitly for evaluation and communication.

For me as a designer, interactive prototyping is never part of the
ideation phase-- it's just not fast and fluid enough. I can get the
ideas out in sketches (and I can write code). But it sounds like there
are folks here who feel like it is part of their process. Great.

(I don't know what everyone is using for rendering, but I have to put a
plug in for Fireworks. I feel like the reason some designers resort to
interactive prototypes is that their tools don't handle state very well.
Between Frames and Pages, Fireworks helps do this quickly and fluidly.)