I would like to ere on the side of Andrei on this point. Right now
I'm on a project that I did not prototype, and for various reasons
I'm getting burned during the implementation stage.

I believe that if upper management saw some of the realities of the
design instead of filling in the gaps with their lack of imagination,
I would be in a better position.

But I still go back to what Andrei told me that primarily prototypes
are for you as a design tool. What's interesting is that in that
regard, I almost lean towards Alan. That I have enough experience
with GUI design that well, I've "seen it all", or can
understand/imagine a vision for myself w/o needing it all built out.

Another reason for prototyping I didn't hear too much clamor about
is validation. Being able to do user testing on an interactive
prototype in my mind is pretty key to success of a design.

-- dave