You did not ask me, and it was not quite 20 years ago, but 18 years
ago I designed a graphical interface  for third wave technologies
that was developing an integrated message, calendar and contact
management software for windows. They had planned a word processing
application as well, but funding ran out.

Of course that was right about the time that visual basic was
released (thanks Alan Cooper) and most developers thought they had
everything they needed to do interface design for windows. I think it
took another three years before I got my next UI project.

Mark