On Feb 15, 2008, at 3:17 AM, dave malouf wrote:

> Another reason for prototyping I didn't hear too much clamor about
> is validation. Being able to do user testing on an interactive
> prototype in my mind is pretty key to success of a design.

I'll pull out the Dreyfuss quote again:

"The cost of a model is more than compensated for by future savings.
It not only presents an accurate picture of the product for the
executives, but it also gives the toolmakers and production men an
opportunity to criticize and to present manufacturing problems.
Models of some products can be made for a few hundred dollars. Full-
scale models of ship or train interiors can cost many thousands of
dollars. A mock-up of a modern passenger airplane cabin may cost
$150,000 but it will be worth it, for it permits engineers and
designers to develop techniques of installation that would not be
otherwise possible. Furthermore, sales executives can bring potential
customers into a faithful, full scale fuselage to see what it offers,
long before production begins. It is far more effective to sit in a
chair than judge its comfort by a picture of it."

Henry Dreyfuss, Designing for People, 61-62.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world