On 04/03/2008, Celeste 'seele' Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Does anyone know of studies or other research that explicitly looks at how
>  developers are using design deliverables in practice?  Particularly
>  integrating things such as wireframes in to functional specifications.  Or
>  even if developers "get" the wireframes and mockups we give them.  I've found
>  that developers prefer annotated slides or a big numbered list of issues to
>  having to read anything big, but those types of things don't look as nice as
>  a fully written final report for the project manager.
>
>  Thoughts?
>
>  ~ Celeste

Very qucikly...

Often there is a cultural clash between the 'traditional' developer
process and the new processes that have grown involving wireframes,
flow diagrams etc.

The key is the correct definition of the functional specification in
such a way as it's usable and understandable to developers. In essence
they are the audience you need to make happy - I have often created
overviews for broader audiences and prototypes are increasingly used.

The wireframes make up most of the functional specification. Tools
like Axure output a word document that is essentialy a retelling of
the wireframes which some developers are used to working with. So
sometimes detailed wireframes with all the error states are enough and
are understandable, sometimes wirefreames with a word file and or
excel spreadsheet are needed. Other times a good set of diagrams and
wireframes are all that's needed. They become the functional spec.

The end aim is to present the information needed to ensure that what
is envisenged is built and that there are not gaps that the developers
fill in because it wasnt covered.

It's always best to try and work with the developers rather then doing
the design and throw it over the wall, it just means that the
wireframes are more realistic and some of the arbitary decisions we
all make can often be made in favour for more 'doable' options. It
increases the likelyhood of final delivery.

--
Stewart Dean