On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Stew Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 04/03/2008, Celeste 'seele' Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  Does anyone know of studies or other research that explicitly looks at
> how
> >  developers are using design deliverables in practice?  Particularly
> >  integrating things such as wireframes in to functional specifications.
>  Or
> >  even if developers "get" the wireframes and mockups we give them.  I've
> found
> >  that developers prefer annotated slides or a big numbered list of
> issues to
> >  having to read anything big, but those types of things don't look as
> nice as
> >  a fully written final report for the project manager.
> >
> >  Thoughts?
> >
> >  ~ Celeste

I found the book "Communicating Design <http://www.communicatingdesign.com/>"
to be useful.

In our company, during initial brainstorming meetings, we involve the
developers and discuss the design.  They are also the product experts and
will usually have a lot of feedback to give us. Based on the discussions and
feedback, we develop screen designs and get an agreement on the design. We
then use the screen designs and create html mockups and include detailed
documentation that lists how the links will behave, what components are
disabled, what page will launch when a button is clicked, is it a action
button, how a show/hide button helps the user and so on.

 Documenting the decisions we made is important so we can look back at the
end of the project and recollect where we made important decisions and why
the design looks and behave in a certain way.

 We made it a practice to even document the original design and alternate
designs we came up with and why it was rejected by the product development
team. This helps us to recollect what tasks need to be tested or answer any
questions that executives/users have during or after the release.

 Finally, before handing the document off to the developers, we review the
document with a teammate or with a member in the development team who we can
trust. This will help us to make sure if the design is explained clearly and
information is organized well.  In our company, the QA uses this design spec
to test the product interface.

 If there are multiple audiences for the document, organizing the content in
to different sections and indicating who should care about this section
(using visuals cues like different people icons for developers, project
managers and so) will help people to ignore stuff that is not relevant to
them.