Have only recently joined the list and have found the discussions on
here very interesting, so bear with me if I am way off the mark.
However, looking back through recent posts and watching some video
lectures posted on interaction design blogs, there seems to be some
what of an us/them gap between software developers and interaction
designers.

As an outsider looking in, this relationship has equivalents in other
fields, particularly architecture. The parallels are that interaction
designers can be thought of as the architect and the developer as the
structural engineer.
In simplified terms, the architect does the designs in CAD,  which
they bring a structural engineer, who then has to make the building
stay up.
Like the interaction designer and the developer, its a trying
relationship, where the architect often feels their vision for a
building is compromised by the structural engineer.
However, this problem is solved when using a Spanish trained
architect as they are also structural engineers.
Spanish architects are engineers with design training or designers
with engineering training, which ever way you want to look at it.
When a Spanish architect goes to a structural engineer with a design
and the ever safe playing structural engineer sees something that is
tricky to do and says "thats column needs to be moved out of there"
they can trump the statement with sound structural calculations,
where as the architect lacking structural engineering training,
grumbles and goes back and makes changes to the plan, with the end
result that they feel their design has been compromised. By training
the architecture as a structural engineer, the dynamic of the
traditional architect/engineer relationship has changed. The engineer
respects the architects opinion as a peer. The architect can also
create better buildings as they can push the limits of the
construction but don't break them, thus the architects vision almost
never needs to be changed.

Getting back to the developer/IX designer relationship, I feel a lot
of the problems can be solved by the IX designer getting training in
software development and learning the ins and outs of the interface
framework, be that QT or what ever. I had a look at some of the
syllabus for IX courses and they don't seem to include computer
programming or graphics frameworks and until they do, we will end up
in the same situation as the non structural engineering trained
architects. In Europe, if you put programming on a design course
syllabus, as you can imagine the up take for the course deceases
immediately, so they don't. Universities over here are as much about
getting people on seats as providing industry with suitable
professionals. But thats a whole other subject!