Jared M. Spool wrote:
By the way, a lot of this comes from people who do a surface analysis on what makes games popular. In gaming, you can't have it be too easy. There is a requirement, for a successful game, for select users to have mastery that most users don't. In my experience, managers who promote the if-we-make-it-too-easy-we'll-erode-our-market philosophy often cite the success of video games as a rationale.

I have to strongly disagree with this sentiment. Look to the Nintendo Wii and the recent popularity of casual gaming for examples where this notion does not hold. I have been playing video games for an embarrassingly long time and yet my Mom can still give me a run for my money when playing Wii Tennis. That doesn't make it any less fun nor does has it made the game unsuccessful.

jason