On May 14, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Loredana Crisan wrote:
How do you folks feel when you have to use an interactive voice response system?

Anxious, because I don't trust them; given the choice to "press or say your account number" I *always* use the keypad, figuring DTMF is a lot less ambiguous than English.

Irritated, because they often ask questions as if they understand natural language, but they don't. "What can I help you with today?" is a pretty generic prompt, and I have very low confidence that anything good will happen if I go into my 30-second description of why my check got credited to the wrong account, etc. etc. Best thing that can happen is to have it say "Okay, let me get you a representative to help you with that problem."

Maybe we have the same sort of "uncanny valley" phenomenon with IVR as we do with CG human characters in movies... perhaps it's better not to try to simulate human behavior, since you lead people to focus on the differences and not the similarities.