Definitely helps Jerome. You, for one are not making the participant conscious
of being watched. Secondly, it always helps to have the stakeholders sit with
you ( in a different room: you can project it on the wall if you want ) and
observe whats happening. Thats a big win actually. When devs, ba's and the
product owners see how the participants perform, they need no convincing ( with
some additional interpretation maybe ) on the usability issues at all.

You use the recorder on the participant machine. Observer is the one which you
look at on your screen. Manager is used to do the tests analysis after the user
testing sessions have been recorded by the observer+recorder.Manager helps you
all the statistical data for the parameters you were evaluating the
application/participant for.

I wonder what the confusion is and if you're doing it right. How do you use
observer and recorder both on the same laptop? Will you be staring at the
participants screen from behind or sitting next to him then? How will you use
the markers? Do you use just a notebook to write down the observations? How
will you do the analysis from the manager if you don't have the markers?
For the way you're doing it, you probably just need a screen recording software
and pen+paper.

Thanks and Regards | Manish Govind Pillewar | User Experience Designer
Thoughtworks India Pvt. Ltd. | Bangalore-India |Tel. +91 9740073112 (M) +91 80
41113967 (Eve.)