-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Fred
Beecher
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 9:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Importance of Masters Degree for
IxDProfessionals

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:37:59, dave malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Fred, are you kidding? How can you compare a week, a week there
> conference experiences to the experience of school? What are you doing
> is saying that a vacation is the same as living there and learning the
> language? It ain't!

No no no no... I was just responding to some of Uday's specific points about
the benefit of a degree program and how you can still get some of those
benefits in non-degree training and professional activities. This also
assumes that you've got several years of experience under your belt, which
is the situation that the original poster is in.

My basic argument is that as your professional experience and
life-responsibilities increase, it becomes harder and harder to justify the
time, expense, and likely re-location involved in attaining an advanced
degree. So someone at the beginning of their career would benefit more than
someone with more experience and responsibility.

Believe me, I would LOVE to have the opportunity to get an advanced degree!
I would LOVE to have the opportunity to go through studio classes and the
like, as my formal education is in technical communication rather than
design. I can see what I'd gain from such a degree, but when it comes down
to comparing the cost of attaining it (tuition + two years of not earning my
salary + moving my family somewhere else) with the  potential reward in
increased salary and opportunities, it just doesn't balance out.

The theory stuff I think is easy to pick up on one's one. The deep
> level of personal and creative exploration, studio experience, and
> concentrated craft practice is what a design degree offers most.

I completely agree with that, and will add intense, design-focused
collaboration to that mix... because in the professional world, often times
you're the only IxD on a project and the collaboration you're involved with
is with people who have other specialties...

F.
7:20 AM

Checked by AVG.
7:20 AM