At risk of sounding like Uday's hallalujah chorus (yo Uday!), let me press
on.

The best thing grad school did for me was FORCE me to get into theoretical
areas that I had natural resistances to, and FORCE me to justify and defend
the theories that I wanted to hang on to like sacred cows.

So let's think a moment about the nature of true innovation. What is it?
Look at two other parallel fields that took two different directions, toward
theory, toward practice: mass communications, and journalism. Both presume
to study one-to-many forms of communication.

Both have thriving graduate programs across the U.S. Let's add to that,
anthropology (a field that tends to define the leading edge of both theory
and practice, it has its head on straight, imho, where the practitioners
often engage in the same information-gathering activities as journalists,
but more informed by current theory).

Journalism stayed rooted in the world of practice and practitioners in its
academic study. The actual field was going through a period of extreme
conservatism and retrenchment (e.g. big corporations were buying up and
consolidating longstanding journalistic institutions, like 100-year-old
newspapers). It laid off reporters, closed news bureaus, dumbed down the
product, morphed "journalism" into something else altogether.
Practice-oriented journalism grad programs took the practice in the field as
the status quo, and focused on "excellence" in that practice, sort of like
that Kurt Vonnegut story Harrison Bergeron, where the smart kid had a buzzer
go off in his ear every half hour, so as not to give him an "unfair"
advantage over the other kids.

How do you practice "excellence" when the lowest common denominator approach
is SO VERY LOW? You practice becoming excellent at mediocrity! (I've both
taught in these journalism programs--and I respect these professors--I was a
graduate of such a program as well... and I've worked in newsrooms where
excellence, even in your annual review, means striving to reach the highest
levels of mediocrity, to become better at mediocrity than anyone else! Can
you tell? I don't think a lot of lowest common denominator thinking, in any
regard, even in interface design. It's why I migrated to ideas of
many-to-many and narrowcasting and long tails)

Mass comm programs at least weren't afraid to hire grad professors who
weren't ONLY high level practitioners in the field, and were people who
devoted themselves to studying the communication problems at hand, instead
of following business-driven practice that may be driving the actual product
in the wrong direction (imagine, in interface design, if all we were doing
these days were web sites with big horizontally-oriented flash splash pages
for corporate clients, because they pay the bills, and the advertisers like
it, actual USERS be damned? Now step back and realize, this is a true
picture of the glossy magazine industry today, and practitioner journalism
programs teach magazine journalism as if advertisers' desires were more
important than actual magazine readers). Mass comm also put its emphasis in
actual research, with good methods, if heavily quantitative and (gasp)
modernist.

Anthropology is a field that pushes past a lot of those limitations,
focusing relentlessly on PRACTICE, and aligning it relentlessly with THEORY.
And that is what pushed me out of my traditional modernist assumptions and
comfort zone. I did not go willingly. But this is the idea, of practice that
works in line with theory, with theory that HAS to be practical, or else it
must be condemned as a non-descriptive theory, and rejected.

What is the dare? I think it is it to dare to ask any research question and
follow the answer wherever it leads, to try to figure out what real users,
what real audiences want and need-- in the face of market forces driving
toward hardened arteries of convention away from real users.

But the dare is also being bold enough to design with vision first, rather
than let the audience tail totally wag the dog, because leadership means
being able to think and create one step AHEAD of market forces, to innovate
informed by the places a line of thought takes you, because that is actually
how audiences move.

I still don't wholeheartedly embrace all of postmodern theory. But I would
have never been forced to wrestle with it, and defend my own focus on
practice, without a grad program pushing me out of my comfort zone.

But think of what we are actually trying to do. How about defining real as
opposed to fake or pseudo-interactivity? Which do you think dominated the
field in the late 1990s? How about defining real as opposed to fake or
pseudo innovation? To do that means following an idea OR a design wherever
it OR your audience leads you, IN SPITE OF market forces that may actually
be leading, or even forcing you, in a much more conservative, less
innovative direction.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris