On Jun 20, 2008, at 9:09 PM, Christine Boese wrote:

The best thing grad school did for me was FORCE me to get into theoretical areas that I had natural resistances to, and FORCE me to justify and defend the theories that I wanted to hang on to like sacred cows.

The thing that's been missing from this thing is the notion of balance. School teaches you primarily theory, while field work teaches you primarily practical experience. The best designers will be the ones that are equipped with both.

If you have a great environment that can teach you theory and experimentation, then perhaps you don't need an advanced degree. If on the other hand you don't have that environment, or you want to teach as part of your profession, getting an advanced degree is a good option to consider.

Balance.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]