Hi,

A few quick and loose thoughts on what is probably the most important topic
facing our industry - the education of new talent to actually do the huge
amounts of work that are coming across our respective desks:

- Two things that aren't generally taught in either undergraduate or
graduate curricula, that I think are more important than any pragmatic
hand/eye skill, are passion and confidence. I've witnessed horrendous
students - students who might be written off as having "no design talent" -
become top in their class due simply to their passion to succeed.
Additionally, I'm starting to view confidence as the top skill for
interaction designers, as a huge amount of professional time is spent
describing, selling, facilitating, and coordinating a design to fruition.

- I have seen a shift in education (in all forms of design) from making to
thinking, and I think Paul Burke from Thinktiv hit it on the head with his
relatively well known infographic:
http://interactions.acm.org/content/XV/burke.pdf  -  we need to educate
students at both a masters and an undergraduate level to combine thinking
and making.

- When I was teaching at SCAD, one of the largest problems we had was the
relationship between liberal arts and design. Our strongest masters
students, in terms of insight and intellect, were those with an
undergraduate degree in liberal arts, yet they often lacked the hand skills
to formalize their ideas in any meaningful way. The opposite seemed to be
true, too: our masters students who HAD backgrounds in design often lacked
the world view to find hidden meaning and draw meaningful connections to
disparate or esoteric ideas in culture and in history.

- Kevin Conlon, now a VP at Ringling, wrote an extremely meaningful and
articulate piece about the future of education for our industry; I really
recommend absorbing the depth of his thoughts:
http://interactions.acm.org/content/?p=1083

Thanks,

-
Jon Kolko