I like that, the journey-person model. My dad became an electrician 40+
years ago, first as IBEW apprentice, then journeyman, then foreman. So long
as we get the benefits that come with it (the union or guild, for instance).

Can we join the Freemasons too? I want to have a lodge and wear funny hats
and have secret handshakes and decoder rings!

I'm being silly, but also serious. If you want to go with a mentoring,
apprenticeship, journeyman, master etc model (aspiring always to become the
Magician card in the Tarot deck!), then I think we also need what comes with
it:

Guilds
Unions
Collective Bargaining (I love what the Screenwriter's Guild was able to work
through this past year).

Couple of things I wouldn't want, which can come with it:

Indentured Servitude
The "sale" of Apprentices

Another thing to think about is the evolution of the university model,
particularly the rise/influence of German universities in, what, 1700s? (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_European_research_universities) I
mean, that goes all steampunk and Royal Society, runs alongside the
influence of Newton/Leibniz/Goethe, and class runs through it. It is where
we get the beginnings of the classic divide between "pure" science or
mathematics and "applied" science or mathematics, as in, engineering. It's
where techne starts to divide off from knowledge-making.

What am I saying? Oxford originally evolved from more medieval/scholastic
models, and contrasts that focus somewhat by running on more of a mentoring,
less on attending a class or lectures. You "read law" or whatever, at
Oxford, attended lectures that looked interesting, and worked closely with a
faculty tutor or mentor.

Industrialization also contributed to the streamlining or
assembly-line-ification of post-secondary education into attendance at
mandatory "classes."

But to go back to an earlier model of the professions, to Guilds, now that
may be the way to go! It's where we get gates and gatekeepers and
certifications, and hermeticism and secret insider knowledge that is closely
guarded, that special way to put the keystone in the arch, etc.

It kind of hearkens back to alchemy and alchemists, and less to post
Enlightenment scientific method, but science has been heading down that road
ever since rich entities (corporations instead of medieval aristocrats)
became patrons of "sponsored research" for pharmaceuticals and other
scientific endeavors (like the historical role of Bell Labs)-- with the
stipulation that knowledge is made, hidden, and hoarded-- the direct
opposite of the Royal Society idea of scientific sharing, replication, and
the larger project of knowledge-making.

I mean, there could be secret labs right now that have conquered gravity as
a limitation in physics, but in secret proprietary research that will never
make it into a physics textbook, will never have a chance for an independent
researcher to attempt to replicate and verify the findings, etc. etc.

Pluses and minuses. To empower a budding profession, one may have to adopt
an "information/training scarcity model" while in our professional practice,
working in a distributed or democratized medium that tends to value
openness, open source, etc.

Paradoxes, everywhere paradoxes.

Chris