On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Christine Boese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I like that, the journey-person model. My dad became an electrician 40+
> years ago, first as IBEW apprentice, then journeyman, then foreman. So long
> as we get the benefits that come with it (the union or guild, for instance).

[snip]

Hmm.. what with this and that anti-Bush political rant, all I can say is
"truly, you have a dizzying intellect."

I'm not at all suggesting the return of the medieval guild but rather a more
practicable and honest approach to the problem of creating more,
high-quality professionals in this and other emerging discliplines (and
letting universities excel at what they do best).  There's nothing
inherently medieval about the journeyman model, which is really my
point--humans have been doing that for, well, for as long as we've had
professions.
--Ambrose