Generally, while MFAs can be considered for full professorship and tenure,
it is not commonly awarded without a clear national reputation on par with
public gallery exhibitions, BIG awards or grants (think MacArthur genius
fellows), or, in the case of writing MFAs and others related to that, one or
more well-received books.

It's a tough case to make in most departments. The professionally-focused
journalism and radio-TV programs have an agreement with most university
administrators to give tenure to people with just master's degrees, but
generally, that is for people who have been quite high up at well-respected
places (editor level, like at Wall St Journal, or major metro dailies one
step under that).

On the other hand, there is a list of journalism programs who had that kind
of agreement with the university administration, only to have that pulled
out from under them a few years later with a president/chancellor change, as
some new ambitious administrator comes in and demands that all departments
start counting PhDs and nothing but. I know lots of people who have been
blindsided by this happening.

Chris