I really like Jeff's suggestions for courses.

I went the University of Cincinnati (CCM) and had many friends in the
"design" college. Their degree programs are almost all 5 years and
are not hard sells to incoming students because those students have
been in art classes for most of their high school careers. I'm
pretty sure that you don't get in without any formal art background;
it's pretty competitive.