On the subject of "Why" vs. "What" I think that that is a
question, if not the question, that separates a good designer from a
great one, and separates decoration from design.

I've met a number of junior UXDs (and I should admit that I've done
this myself) who had at some point looked at their job as nothing more
than to take a set of requirements,  make a few choices on the
controls to use and arrange them on the page. Its not until they're
almost complete that they realize that there is something wrong, but
can't figure out what.

It's the fact that they never asked "why." Why is requirement x a
requirement?

Asking that "why" leads to a whole bunch of "whats" that were
never exposed to them before.  What is the user trying to achieve?
What is it that the project owner is trying to do with said
requirement? And so an and so forth...