> In the referenced article, you say: "Do you think Google's home page was
> designed for a specific set of user types?"
>
> At *An Event Apart* today, Jeffrey Veen said, essentially, yes--he didn't
> show personas, per se, but he did show pictures of and described target user
> types that sure sounded a lot like them.  And in fact he said, and I quote,
> "weaving all that [Google apps] together took a tremendous amount of
> user-centered design." [...]

Google's homepage was started long before its UX design team. It was
originally "designed", as the story goes, simply as a way to input tests for
the search engine.

As recently as 2 years ago, Google's UX team consisted of about 60 people,
out of about 10,000 employees. It took them several years to even start a UX
team, let alone work it into their process. It may (or may not) be going
strong now, but Google was certainly not built on a foundation of quality
interaction design.

Interesting side note: Veen first gave that talk back in 2005. He's modified
it over time (from what I've heard), but it's essentially the same talk he's
been giving for 3 years (I think before he joined Google). I don't know if
this affects the net sum of the talk, but it's interesting. (Any way you
look at it, Veen is an awesome speaker.)

-r-