On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  No one in their right mind would do this, but it doesn't mean your point
> is accurate. I've never used a typical UCD process (well, not since
> realizing it was a bad idea), but I've always had a plan at the beginning of
> a project for how to reach a successful end, and it's always been based on
> things I could prove have worked before.

Awesome. :)

> You seem to be saying that the only options are to either follow a UCD
> process or fly by the seat of your pants and expect managers to just trust
> you. I doubt that's what Andrei means.

Yikes.  What I *seem* to be saying seems to be contradicting what I actually
said.  :)  Let me try to be clearer.

We will all follow some process, i.e., work flow.  That is inescapable.  The
questions are:
1) Are we aware of our process or are we just doing what seems best at any
particular moment?
2) If we are aware of our process, is it a proven process or one we are just
experimenting with?
3) Whatever other questions am I omitting? :)  (Just wanted to be complete.)

My experience and research suggests that these managers as a rule want to
follow some conscious, proven process or at least one that is adapted to
their environment.  They want the security of knowing that others have been
successful following it and, often, like particular features of it that seem
to just make sense and facilitate their job, part of which is reporting on
progress.  And I think their perfectly reasonable in wanting that, even if
some go overboard in their faith in process or fail to recognize that having
the right people is far more important.

UCD is *one* such process, one that has a set of techniques and common
deliverables and that has been practiced by many others, at least enough to
where it is pretty widespread and has many reports of success.  Plus, it has
the benefit of just making sense to people.

So no, it is not UCD or nothing.  Please, please, nobody put those words in
my mouth again.

> I'll let Andrei speak for himself, but the point he seems to be making is
> that managers don't care which process you use, just that you have one that
> can be reproduced and will strengthen your chances for success. This is
> certainly what I meant when I said no company I've worked with cared how
> things got done. Sorry if that was unclear.

Thanks for the clarification.  If Andrei cares, he can elaborate.  He
certainly doesn't have to as far as I'm concerned; I feel like we're off the
beaten path or, rather, beating an entirely new one with a dead horse.

--Ambrose