Petra,
I think you are spot on. Some people naturally emphasize with the needs of
others. I think this is a key quality and explains how some people can design
quality systems without doing as much UCD research, etc.

Harvard psychologist Howard Gardner identifies 7 types of intelligence - one
of them describes "Interpersonal" skills.

>From http://professorlamp.com/ed/TAG/7_Intelligences.html
"Interpersonal"
    "Children who are leaders among their peers, who are good at communicating
and who seem to understand others' feelings and motives possess interpersonal
intelligence."

Donna Fritzsche
Information Architect, Ontologist